Need help? +64 9373 2949

Knowledge Center

Here in the US Global Tax Knowledge Centre, you’ll find links to a wealth of US tax information, including tax treaties, and previous news articles.

The information contained here is just a small glimpse into the expert in-house knowledge at the firm, and we recommend calling us with any questions.

FAQ – US Tax Help for Expats

If you have US tax questions, US Global Tax has answers. We provide valuable tax help to USA expats living in New Zealand and Australia through knowledgeable service and insight.


If you have questions that aren’t answered elsewhere, or are looking for any IRS or US Tax Updates for New Zealand, take a scroll through our news archive.

Video Library

Thanks for visiting our online video library. Here you will find a collection of short, but informative videos covering various areas of US expat taxation.


FATCA is a widely used term to refer to the US tax implications for US citizens overseas. While citizenship based tax laws have existed since 1864, it is only quite recently that this has come to the forefront of the tax world, due to FATCA.

Tax Treaties

Please see the links below directly to the United States – Australia Tax Treaty, and the United States - New Zealand Tax Treaty.

FBAR - what is it?

So, the FBAR… what exactly is it? With a formal name of FinCEN 114, it's complicated instructions have resulted in it being one of the most widely searched US taxation terms, and also one of the most frequently understood.


What is an FBAR? This is a very widely used Google search term, and something which leaves many US expatriates scratching their heads.


Did you know that any individual with US income or investments may have an obligation to file a US tax return, regardless of their citizenship?

Our Process

Read through our information and ready to get started? Fortunately, at US Global Tax, we’ve got a straight forward process to get the ball rolling.

Tax Planning & Consulting

With a team of US tax specialists with more than 30 years of combined experience, US Global Tax are able to provide expert, considerate and effective US tax advice.

What are my options?

If you’ve just discovered you might have an obligation to file tax returns in the USA, you might be wondering what the next steps are, and what are your options.

What is a financial account?

So, as we all know by now, the FBAR (Report of Foreign Bank Accounts) requires US citizens to report their interest in any non-US financial account, if the combined maximum value of their non-US financial accounts exceeds $10,000 per year.

Who must file a US tax return?

It can come as a shock to many, to discover that US citizens need to file tax returns whilst living overseas. This is true, and it is something which has gradually become more and more noticeable to US citizens over the last few years.

Still unsure if you need to file a US tax return?

© 2020, US Global Tax, All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: Information on this website is of a general nature and is not intended for use without professional advice.